slideshow

Sunday, October 30, 2011

THE COMMUNITY






 I used to think about the community as a vacation – better yet, an escapade. An escapade in a sense that I can escape from all the stress that school has to offer. Don’t get me wrong, I do not regret entering med school. But this semester, I was overwhelmed. It was far more different than what I was used to during my freshman year. The stress made me entertain the thought of escaping to the community. Funny as it may seem, when in fact last year, I preferred to stay in Zamboanga, in school, than be ‘deported’ back in Diplahan. But this year, it was the opposite. I really wanted the sem to end, for finally rest and community seemed synonymous to me.

But it dawned to me that, this isn’t really my purpose. This isn’t really the purpose of why our school sends us to far flung areas, a bit different from what we are used to. The essence of being in the community is to serve. That is for the community people. And what’s in it for us? I asked the same question. Every time we get back in the community, I always feel more thankful for all the blessings I have. Even the simplest things are accentuated in the community. I realize that there are times that I feel so unsatisfied with what I have in life. I sometimes complain regarding simple things like commuting to school, not having my favorite viand for dinner, and some other petty things. When I arrive in the community, I get to see other people who, despite the simpler things they have, seem contented and thankful than I am. They usually commute and endure a long commute time in habal-habals, which are uncomfortable, they have simple food and their work is difficult compared to my student lifestyle, but still they seem more contented than I am. I realized that our exposure is meant to teach us to be thankful and at the same time be humble. With the humbling experience comes the desire to help the community people. And I hope in the coming exposures, my group and I can establish the real purpose of our stay in the community. It is not merely an escapade, but a goal to help the community live a healthy life.



-Sarah



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search The World